Greenpop Reforest Festival: Friends weekend 2016
A CELEBRATION OF MUSIC, HEART AND SOIL!
An idyllic, fun-filled weekend away full of music, play, digging in and getting dirty as you help plant thousands of trees and (re)connect with nature and a forest full of friends!
Together we will help rehabilitate the ancient Platbos Forest and experience the spirit of holistic green living as we plant trees, camp under the stars and Milkwoods, dance to live music and become a part of growing Platbos Forest Reserve back to its original abundance.
What are you waiting for?!
10 REASONS THE FRIENDS WEEKEND IS A MAGICAL GETAWAY:
1. You’ll help plant 1000s of trees – that’s seriously epic!
2. Make new friends and (re)connect with amazing people.
3. The activities are awesome (think yoga, forest walks, eco-workshops etc.).
4. It’s an easy 2.5 hour drive from Cape Town.
5. You can sleep under the stars: pitch your tent (or rent one from us).
6. The forest is ancient and the southernmost in Africa – visit a 1000 year old Milkwood tree.
7. You’ll be getting your hands dirty for a good cause.
8. Beautiful eco-ablution facilities provided.
9. What could be better than dancing the night away under a star-lit sky and forest canopy?
10. You can unplug.
Arrive Friday evening and relax into a chilled night of gentle tunes under the canopy of the ancient indigenous forest. Enjoy delicious food and start bonding with new friends around the campfire.
Saturday is an action-packed day of tree-planting and getting your hands dirty, helping to restore an ecosystem that is one of the most rare and endangered in the Western Cape. After planting thousands of trees in your teams, return to camp for a good shower and a forest party to celebrate the achievement. Greenpop provides an awesome musical line-up at the intimate main stage, with some of South Africa’s coolest emerging bands. Line up to be announced soon!
Sunday is a day to relax your body and stimulate your mind. It’s filled with fun, educational activities and workshops including:
· Forest walks
· Hula Hooping
· Interactive music sessions and instrument making
· Arts and crafts
· Talks by various personalities in conservation and sustainable living
· And some surprises
> Adult festival ticket: R360.00
> Child (5-12 years) festival ticket: R220.00
> Child (0-4 years): FREE
ALL TICKETS INCLUDE:
· A place to pitch your tent
· Tree planting
· Fun and educational activities
· Live entertainment (music and plays)
· Yoga classes
· Forest walks
· And so much more!
Please note: Ticket price does NOT include meals. Greenpop will provide some snacks during the planting and there will be a selection of food trucks and vendors on site preparing fresh, delicious vegan meals for purchase.
If camping is not for you, you are welcome to book into one of the beautiful guest houses in the area and join us each morning.
HOW TO GET THERE:
Platbos forest is an easy 2.5 hour drive from Cape Town. If you are travelling in a car, please try to carpool if you can. Our partners Find a Lift (http://findalift.co.za/) have a great carpooling site where you can find travel buddies and rides if you need.
Remember you might be arriving in the dark on Friday evening, so be sure to read these directions carefully and have them on hand.
· From Cape Town, take the N2 highway towards Hermanus.
· Take the Hermanus turn off and go directly into Hermanus town. Drive through Hermanus town towards Stanford on the R43.
· On the R43 road from Stanford to Gansbaai, look out for the Grootbos turnoff on your left hand side, approximately 12km after passing Stanford town. (If you get to Gansbaai you have gone too far)
· Turn left at the Grootbos turn off and travel for just over 6km along this tar, and then gravel, road (do not turn into the actual Grootbos Estate).
· Just before the 6km mark, you will see a turnoff over a cattle grid on your right hand side, and a wooden sign, ‘Platbos Forest’. This entrance to the forest is CLOSED for Festival goers. Please do not turn up this road as you cannot gain access to the Fest from here.
· Continue along the road you are on, following the Greenpop signboards and flags. Turn right onto the entrance road (marked with Greenpop signboards) immediately after you have passed the Platbos entrance.
· Follow the signboards until you come to the Festival Entrance.
Bring your own tent and camp in our general campsite. Please follow instructions of the welcoming team and parking guards. No dogs are allowed in the forest 🙁
Kids Only campsite
Greenpop noticed some of the (older) kids would love to have their own campsite, so they’ve created a cordoned off little campsite for ‘Kids Only’ with good lighting for kids older than 10 years.
There are a few tents for renting at R300 per tent for the weekend (comes with 2 mattresses and will be set upon your arrival). You can book a tent via Quicket.
If you don’t want to camp (although we highly recommend camping – the ancient forest is so beautiful), we recommend the following places:
Platbos (Bush Buck Suite, Honey Bee Suite, Old Olive Cabin):http://ww.platbos.co.za/
Uylenvlei Retreat: http://
Bodhi Khaya: http://
Farm 215: http://farm215.co.za/
Fountainbush Cottage: http://www.gansbaai.com/
De Uijlenes: http://
NB. When booking, remember to tell them that you are attending the Greenpop Reforest Fest and that they should give you a price excluding breakfast as we have food stalls selling amazing breakfasts up at the forest!
PS. If you have kiddies in tow, maybe you’d prefer to join us for the Family weekend from 11-13 March 2016. Also fun for all ages but with more kid-friendly activities incorporated: http://bit.ly/
Book here to claim your spot: http://bit.ly/